I am well aware that there are many people in Grant County that don't give a hoot that Billy the Kid lived in Silver City during his early years. However, there are lots of people who are not from Silver City that think it's pretty darn cool that he began his career in crime… right here in Silver City. And as goofy as some of you may think it sounds, we have had visitors who wanted to take selfies with our life-size picture of Billy the Kid. In fact, a month or so ago, one gentleman running as a candidate for Governor of the State of New Mexico posed with The Kid.
I mention this because the things that draw people to Grant County are extremely varied. Sometimes we should think outside the comfort of our little box and do things that are daring and may seem unnatural to the people who just don't get it. I will be attending a committee meeting to discuss next year's celebration of the Town Charter for Silver City. A couple of folks can dress up in period clothing and read a proclamation. We can place the Town Charter on display at the museum for all to see. But how about having a shoot-out in downtown? How about seeing if Wells Fargo can get their stage coach that travels around the country to visit Silver City and give rides through the downtown area? I once saw a Miss Drumsticks contest in Jasper, Arkansas where the contest showed off their legs from just above the knee down and down to their bare feet… and a guy ended up winning? How about closing off a street and having a BBQ cooking or chili cooking contest? The only thing that should hold us back is our lack of imagination. Rather than some solemn occasion that resembles a funeral, we should be celebrating the fact that we are the only city in New Mexico that is still chartered under territorial law rather than state law. I would really like to hear your thoughts before this Friday meeting that I will be attending.
So… what's going on this Labor Day Weekend:
- Gem and Mineral Show at the Grant County Conference Center
- Taste of Downtown - downtown
- The Southwest Print Fiesta will be held in downtown Silver City
- There will be a President Trump Rally and Potluck Picnic Saturday around Noon in Gough Park
- Next week there will be an Exhibit and Opening Reception for Lowriders, Hoppers, and Hot Rods
- Saturday & Sunday – Sept. 9 & 10, the Gila Rangers will host Cowboy Action Shooting at a ranch in the Mimbres Valley
- That same Saturday Friends of the Silver City Public Library will have a book sale… there will be a Grand Opening & Open House for Deborah Van Tellingen Photography Studio… and the second Gospel Extravaganza will take place in Gough Park.
And I have to write this last happening… the Denny's Restaurant will be opening next week.
Got questions, want some information, need a phone number, looking for a place to hold a meeting or party – call the Silver City Grant County Chamber of Commerce office at (575) 538-3785. And remember, all calls are kept confidential unless they are really goofy calls.