www.silvercityart.com, for all the details on gallery show openings, a very special brunch, an indie artist pop up exhibition, live theater performances, an annual Southwest Print Fiesta and much, much more. It is suggested that you stop by the Murray Ryan Visitor Center at 201 Hudson street for brochures, maps and all you need to know to see everything that is happening in Silver City this holiday weekend.Celebrating 20 years of Weekend at the Galleries, Silver City Art Association invites everyone to mark their calendars for October 5, 6, 7, and 8 for four full days of downtown festivities. Check the website,
Saturday morning, October 6, Galleries are opening by 11 for your browsing and shopping. Just follow the Red Dots and during the festive receptions at the galleries, between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m., you can meet the artists, enjoy music, refreshments and bountiful art. It's a great way to start your gallery exploration on this extended weekend of fun, food and lots and lots of local art!
Sunday is the perfect day to enjoy a brunch on the patio at the corner of Texas and Market Street. And you are invited! Vicki's Eatery is preparing the brunch with some of their favorite dishes. It will be available from 10 till 1 for a suggested donation of $5 to the Silver City Art Association. The Sunday Brunch is a special event this year in recognition of the 20 years of Weekend at the Galleries in Silver City! And on Sunday the galleries are open 10 till 3. It's a good time to browse and buy fabulous local art! Whatever you are looking for - pottery, wall art, fabric art, and more, from the realistic to the extremely funky - it's all there for the finding.
The Monday holiday is a "galleries are open" day in the Silver City Art District. A last chance at the Weekend at the Galleries to take home that favorite piece of art! The holidays are coming and Silver City art treasures can be found at pricing you will like!
Silver City is home to a vibrant and amazing community of artists. This is just an example of those galleries featuring many of these artists and their works during this special weekend.
- A Space Studio and Gallery will feature it's 3rd annual "Hi-o Silver Away" group show where $100 affordable art is featured as well as "Art-on-a-Stick." Just a visit to this unique gallery is an adventure!
- Creative Hands Roadside Attraction Art Gallery is featuring the amazing work of Chuck Lathrop. Chuck is working in Abstract Expressions in his print making and paintings.
- Light Art Space is Silver City's newest gallery and you must stop by to see their opening show titled "Age and Seduction," photopolymer gravures by Karen Hymer. From 10 a.m. till noon there is a cyanotype workshop and at noon till 2 p.m. a gravure print demonstration.
- Wel- known and much- respected Silver City artist, Richard Harper, will be the invited guest artist at Lois Duffy Art Gallery.
- Upcoming local artist Carolyn Paez will be the special guest artist, showing her collection of whimsical abstracts, at Mariah's Copper Quail Gallery.
- The Grant County Art Guild's 33rd Annual Purchase Prize Art Show will have it's final showing at the Pinos Altos Gallery during this special weekend.
- The Makery will have a premier of Wendi Kitting Oliveira's freestyle handwoven clothing line. There is a Weaving on the Little Loom workshop on Monday and demonstrations all weekend.
- WNMU Frances McCray Gallery of Contemporary Art and the Silver City Museum are also joining in with special shows and activities! Check them out!
The annual "Indie Show" will be featured in an exhibit at Geisler Common Ground Studio and Gallery,102 West Kelly Street, from 10 till 8 on Saturday, 10-4 on Sunday and Monday 10-2. It is all about individual artists from the Silver City Art Association showing their best work!
In addition to Silver City's array of fascinating galleries, starting on October 5 and throughout the extended weekend, the Southwest Print Fiesta will be in be in full swing in the downtown, historic Arts and Cultural District. Featuring an array of print makers from far and wide, you can shop the vender market and take a workshop. You won't want to miss the steamroller printing! For more information go to southwestprintfiesta.org.
The performing arts in Silver City abound! This Weekend at the Galleries is featuring the "Virus Theater" with performances and the historic El Sol Theater. Their always memorable and enjoyed performances will be Oct. 5, "Blatant Attempts"at 7:30 p.m.; October 6 and 7, "The Red Stilts"at 2 p.m. and "Oeddy Wrecks"at 7:30 p.m. Check out more about The Virus Theater performing artists and shows at virustheater.com.
The friendly small town ambiance of Silver City with its abundance of interesting galleries, antique stores, unique shops and eateries nurtures an environment where creative energy and expression abounds. The Silver City Art Association's Red Dot Weekend at the Galleries showcases this inviting and diverse community of artists and entrepreneurs. For this very special extended weekend, October 5, 6, 7 and 8, visitors and local residents alike are invited to experience it all.