By Roger Lanse

On Wednesday, Sept. 5, at about 8:14 a.m., the Santa Clara Police Department and the Santa Clara Fire and Rescue were dispatched to the Carmen and Norma Reyes home on North Cleveland Street in reference to a house fire. The fire was electrical in nature, according to SCFR Chief Joe Gallegos, and originated from an overloaded extension cord lying underneath carpet, causing fire and smoke damage to the interior of the home.

No one was home at the time of the incident, Gallegos said, and the family is presently not able to occupy the dwelling. Five people were thought to have lived in the home.

According to Gallegos, the State Fire Marshal came down the same day and completed his investigation. PNM and the NM Gas Co. were also advised. “We saved the structure and confined fire damage to where it started.” Gallegos told the Beat. ”But, as you might expect, there is smoke damage throughout the house.”

Gallegos stressed the danger of plugging too many household items into one electrical outlet. “Especially, in these older homes.”