Roswell is second stop for constituent services outreach 

SANTA FE – Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham is bringing key members of her administration and constituent services personnel from more than a dozen state agencies to Roswell on Nov. 2 for the second Governor’s Cabinet in Your Community event.

High-level representatives from departments and agencies across state government, including the Governor’s Office, will be on hand to help constituents who attend the “service-palooza” event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 2,  in the Physical Education Center Gymnasium at  Eastern New Mexico University, 52B University Blvd. 

The result will be one-stop shopping for constituents with needs ranging from child care assistance to driver license renewal, from local business consultation to help finding a new job, from benefits assistance for veterans to Medicaid eligibility. A list of services that can be fulfilled by various agency representatives is included below.

“Taking care of people is Job No. 1 in state government,” Gov. Lujan Grisham said. “I mean business about transforming this state; a crucial part of that mission is improving how we provide state government resources to New Mexicans -- and demonstrating we can do it better.”

The first Governor’s Cabinet in Your Community was in Albuquerque on Aug. 10.

For most services, participants are asked to bring a valid form of identification. Additional required documentation is noted in the list of participating agencies below.

Department of Workforce Solutions

Need a job? Representatives from the Department of Workforce Solutions will be on-hand to help with resume writing, job search navigation, reviewing open jobs and referrals, and launching new unemployment claims.

Need help with your business? This agency can help you upload wage reports, file electronic payments for payroll taxes and create or update account information. Workforce Solutions can also help write job descriptions, launch recruitment processes and receive references of eligible candidates currently in the Workforce Solutions system.

Human Services Department

Representatives from the Human Services Department’s Income Support Division can help you  determine eligibility and enroll in nutrition and health programs including Medicaid, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, the Low-Income Heating and Energy Assistance program, the Commodity Supplemental Food program and Temporary Emergency Food Assistance program. 

Participants are asked to bring the following: Documentation of last four weeks of pay if you receive any kind of income; identification; proof of citizenship or immigration status; and proof of out-of-pocket medical expenses for any disabled or elderly applicants. If you are unable to obtain any of the above, an Income Support Division worker can assist at time of interview. For further assistance, you may apply online at: www.yes.state.nm.us or call the customer service line at 800-283-4465.

Have an issue with child support? Bring an existing case number, date of birth and a form of identification. No case number? To apply for services, bring the following: the names of all parties involved (custodial parent, non-custodial parent, children); the addresses of all parties involved; dates of birth for all parties involved; Social Security numbers of all parties involved; marriage and divorce dates; a court order, if one already exists; and a form of identification for the applicant.

Department of Health

Need an immunization? Representatives of the Department of Health will give uninsured adults Hepatitis A, Tdap and MMR vaccinations. Children may receive hepatitis A, hepatitis B, meningococcal, Tdap and HPV vaccinations. Participants are asked to bring immunization records. Please note: Families requiring the full complement of school-age vaccines will be referred to a local “Got Shots” event; the list can be found at https://hsc.unm.edu/programs/nmimmunization/gotshot.html

The Department of Health also can help individuals check the status of pending applications for medical cannabis, developmental disabilities waiver, WIC and other public health-related programs; and consult on how to obtain vital records. (Please note: vital records requests will require $10 via cash, check or money order).

Taxation and Revenue 

Need a driver license? Apply for the new Standard License at the Motor Vehicle Division Mobile Unit. To obtain a Standard License, please see this link for required documentation. Information about registration renewals can be found here and information about registering a new or used vehicle for the first time can be found here.

Owed money? Representatives from the Taxation and Revenue Department will be available to conduct Unclaimed Property searches and help you file a claim. 

Children, Youth and Families Department

Need child care assistance? Representatives of the Children, Youth and Families Department can help you sign up. Agency personnel also will conduct referrals for individuals interested in home-visiting services, prekindergarten, early intervention and Head Start services. Personnel from Protective Services will be on hand to discuss adoption and fostering for interested participants.

Department of Veterans Services

Representatives will answer questions about Veterans Administration or state veterans benefits and help veterans file for benefits and lost or misplaced forms.

Department of Economic Development

Representatives from the Economic Development Department can help local businesses with a  variety of services and answer questions about business expansion and job training programs, economic development incentives, and how to become a New Mexico vendor or an extra in a film or television production. 

Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources

This agency runs New Mexico’s 34 state parks and supervises extraction of timber, energy and minerals, so come with questions or concerns about those areas. 

Aging and Long-Term Services Department

Representatives will be on hand to receive reports of abuse, neglect or exploitation; assist individuals, families and caregivers with transitioning to long-term care facilities; and answer questions about aging resources, the long-term care ombudsman program and elder rights. 

Environment Department 

A representative from the Food Program will provide guidance to public food establishments on permitting, inspections and safe food handling and preparation techniques, as well as answer questions and provide information about the program to consumers. This is also a great opportunity for those considering starting a food business (including food trucks) to get more information on what is required from the Environment Department.

A representative from the New Mexico Occupational Health and Safety Bureau will provide general workplace safety information, including worker and employer rights and responsibilities under the Occupational Safety and Health Act. The representative will also be available to answer technical questions and provide guidance on requesting free and confidential business assistance through the bureau

State Personnel Office

Interested in a state job? Representatives of the State Personnel Office can tell you more about working for state government and can help you apply for an open position or check the status of an application. For the latter service, participants are asked to bring the Job Opening ID or position number.

Workers’ Compensation Administration

The Roswell field office manager will be available to answer questions from workers about on-the-job injuries and from employers about compliance.

Department of Regulation and Licensing

Representatives will be on hand to answer questions about the process for obtaining licenses in regulated industries or to help file complaints regarding a licensee. This includes liquor licenses, construction professionals,  financial institutions and more than 30 other professions and trades from accounting to funeral services.

Department of Finance and Administration

Want to see how New Mexico state government spends your taxes? Representatives of Finance and Administration will be on hand to demonstrate the new capital outlay dashboard, an online tool that lets anyone track and analyze infrastructure projects. The dashboard shows funding information and status updates about capital projects across the state, with data going back to 2016. They’ll also be able to answer tax questions from local government officials. 

Higher Education Department

Representatives of the Higher Education Department will be available to answer questions about financial aid resources for students, including grants, scholarships and loans-for-service programs; residency for tuition purposes; and to provide general information about New Mexico’s public colleges and universities.

Join GCB Three Times Weekly Updates

Welcome to Three Times Weekly Updates! You will be subscribed to email notifications with links to recently posted articles.
You can unsubscribe anytime. We never share or rent your email to anyone.

Fire Alerts

Editor's Note

Check out a new column that will talk about the town of Silver City and its news and services. 

Those new to providing news releases to the Beat are asked to please check out submission guidelines at https://www.grantcountybeat.com/about/submissions. They are for your information to make life easier on the readers, as well as the editor.

Classifieds: Check periodically to see if any news ones have popped up. Welcome to our new version of classified ads.  We invite you our readers to post your own classifieds, which are available for viewing 24/7 and are very reasonable in price, because you do all the work yourselves. A recent classified for a van brought a sale within two days. It's really easy to check to see if there's a classified ad. Just click on Classifieds in the blue menu and the page will open letting you know if there is a classified ad. Remember that your buying classified ads gives you a wide readership, as well as supporting the Beat. Post YOURS for quick results!

Images: We have received complaints about large images blocking parts of other articles. If you encounter this problem, click on the title of the article you want to read and it will take you to that article's page, which shows only that article without any intruders. It's a software problem, not easily fixable, other than showing fewer articles per summary page. If you are a frequent visitor, you might not mind fewer articles per page, but if you only come once in a while, you likely want to see more articles to browse. Write me at editor@grantcountybeat.com to let me know your feelings on this issue. 

Compliance: Because you are an esteemed member of The Grant County Beat readership, be assured that we at the Beat continue to do everything we can to be in full compliance with GDPR and pertinent US law, so that the information you have chosen to give to us cannot be compromised. 

New Columnists: The Beat continues to bring you new columnists.Recent additions  include one about end of life options, Compassionate Care.

The Beat has a column for you gardeners out there. The Grant County Extension Service will bring you monthly columns on gardening issues. The first one posted is on Winterizing your houseplants and patio plants.

The Beat totally appreciates its readers and subscribers!  


All articles and photos indicated by a byline are copyrighted to the author or photographer. You may not use any information found within the articles without asking permission AND giving attribution to the source. Photos can be requested and may incur a nominal fee for use personally or commercially.

NOTE: If an article does not have a byline, it was sent to the Beat and written by someone not affiliated with the Beat

Don't forget to tell advertisers that you saw their ad on the Beat.

Newsletter: If you subscribe to the Join GCB Three Times Weekly Updates option on the left side of this page, you will be subscribed to email notifications with links to recently posted articles.

Here for YOU: Consider the Beat your DAILY newspaper for up-to-date information about Grant County. It's at your fingertips! One Click to Local News.

Feel free to notify editor@grantcountybeat.com, if you notice any problems on the site. Your convenience is my desire for the Beat.

Thanks for your support for and your readership of Grant County's online news source—www.grantcountybeat.com