Albuquerque, NM - Today, Congress passed a monumental tax reform bill designed foster growth and job creation and cut taxes for hardworking families. Sadly, Democrats Michelle Lujan Grisham and Ben Ray Lujan opposed this important legislation and sent a clear message to working New Mexicans: your money is better spent by bureaucrats in Washington than by you and your family.
They voted against:
- Tax cuts for the vast majority of New Mexican families
- Lower rates for individuals: 0%, 10%, 12%, 22%, 24%, 32%, 35%, and 37%
- A nearly doubled standard deduction – from $6500 and $13,000 under current law to $12,000 and $24,000 for individuals and married couples
- An expanded Child Tax Credit – from $1,000 to $2,000
- A lowered tax on our American businesses, from 35% to 21%, which will ignite economic growth and increase paychecks
- A simpler tax code that will let most Americans do their taxes on a postcard size form
"It is extremely disappointing and sad to see Reps. Lujan Grisham and Lujan choose pure partisanship over more money in the pocketbooks of hard working New Mexicans," said Ryan Cangiolosi, chairman of the Republican Party of New Mexico. "On the other hand, New Mexicans can be proud of Rep. Steve Pearce for voting for tax cuts and pay raises for our state. Tax reform is good for families, good for businesses, and good for our economy. Voters will remember where their elected officials stood when it comes to casting their vote in November."