Silver City, NM, June 5, 2018—To protect public health and safety due to increasing fire danger, the Gila National Forest will implement Stage 2 Fire Restrictions effective Wednesday, June 6, at 12:01 a.m., and in addition, is raising the Fire Danger to Extreme. These additional fire restrictions will remain in effect until forest officials determine that conditions have changed sufficiently to reduce the risk of human-caused wildfire.
Stage 2 fire restrictions prohibit the following:
· Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal or wood stove. Devices fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off are the exception.
· Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, building, or developed recreation area, unless you are in a 3-foot diameter cleared of burnable vegetation.
· Operating any internal combustible engine, including chainsaws during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
· Welding or operating acetylene, or other torches with an open flame.
· Fireworks and/or explosives are always prohibited on National Forest System lands.
Criteria used to determine when to implement fire restrictions include current and predicted weather, fuel moisture, fire activity levels and available firefighting resources.
Please contact Ellen Brown, Fire Prevention Officer at (575)388-8201 or the individual ranger districts between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. for further details regarding fire restrictions.
Black Range Ranger District (575) 894-6677 Reserve Ranger District (575)533-6232
Glenwood Ranger District (575) 539-2481 Quemado Ranger District (575)733-4678
Wilderness Ranger District (575) 536-2250 Silver City Ranger District (575)388-8201
For information on the Gila National Forest, check out our website at http://www.fs.usda.gov/gila