photo of pinos altos church page 001

The historic Holy Cross Church in Pinos Altos will soon be profaned, as recently authorized by Bishop Peter Baldacchino, Diocese of Las Cruces.

According to Grant County records, the Catholic church and the adjoining Catholic cemetery were deeded to the Diocese of El Paso by John W. Fleming on March 10, 1934. Prior to that date, the United States of America, on August 23, 1926, designated the property in trust for the several uses and benefits of the occupants of the Townsite of Pinos Altos.

There is no record as to the construction of the small adobe church. However, records show that the building was blessed by Father Gerard on July 17, 1888. Its beginning served the many mining families who resided in the area during the great search for gold, silver and copper.

Over the past 130 years, the Church continued to serve as a mission church under the direction of St. Vincent de Paul Parish, with eventual limited services due to the decreased number of parishioners residing in Pinos Altos, and the need for extensive repairs and maintenance.

Within the next few months, the building will be vacated and all religious items relocated to a secure place. The Catholic cemetery will not be affected by this profanement.